Monday, December 15, 2014

So This Is Christmas




                                                 
Saying that the Christmas season is my favorite time of year is an understatement. I love Christmas music, hot cocoa, bright lights, red everything, and most of all the joy and love that fills the air. It is such a special time. I always try to fill my calendar with every and any festive activity. 

For the past 6 years my holiday season has started sometime around September when I start rehearsing for a Christmas show. My days are filled with songs and dances and costumes that ooze Christmas spirit. I somehow forgot what life was like before Christmas shows. Last week I realized it was already December and it just did not feel like Christmas. It wasn't a sad realization, just an observation. This year everything is just so different.

Another big part of the season is sharing it with my dearest friends and family. Whether its meeting up at Starbucks for that treasured red cup, or heading to Thoroughbred to see the lights, or roaming around Downtown Disney, there is always something to do.

This year Jim and I decided to save money and stay in Illinois for the holidays. I stand by that choice and know that it was the best move for our little family. With that being said, I refused to miss out on the feeling of Christmas so we scoured the internet for things to do. I am so thankful for my husband and his up-for-anything attitude. My happiness is so very important to him and he shows me that every single day. 

This weekend we overdosed on Christmas and it was glorious. We took a trolley ride downtown accompanied by free cookies and hot cocoa, we put the finishing touches on our tree, we headed to Hardy's Reindeer Ranch in Rantoul, and wore a lot of red. We also dressed Harper up a few times. She loved it. I think.

The finishing touches of the season are a big loud Christmas Eve with my family eating tamales and playing Pictionary followed by a sweet quiet Christmas with Jim's family where we open a million presents because everything gets individually wrapped. This year we are going to enjoy Chinese food at a restaurant and watch Into The Woods at the movie theater. Christmas may look very different this year but it's our Christmas. Being here in Illinois means Jim successfully completed his PhD and was selected for a post doc position at one of the greatest physics departments in the nation AND has been invited to do a second year which is a huge deal. All of this means that we are building our future, our big bright future. I am proud of my husband. I am proud of our marriage. I am proud of our Christmas. Wherever you are this Christmas I hope you feel loved and are surrounded by peace and happiness.









 


                                             



























No comments:

Post a Comment